Lichfield Road, Brownhills, West Midlands, WS8 6LS
01543 373 033

chocolate warning!

March is the international month of pet poison awareness. Today we will open with the most beloved chocolate

As much as it is a yummy treat for ourselves, chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine. Pets cannot metabolise this component, which therefore increases their sensitivity to it.

The main signs of poisoning include: vomiting, diarrhoea, excessive panting and increased heart rate. Left without veterinary treatment, these symptoms can escalate to seizures, tremors and heart failure.

The sneaky thing about chocolate is that these symptoms can take up to three days to display, which is why it is SO important to contact your vet and seek medical attention immediately!

If treatment is carried out early enough, vets can administrate active charcoal to induce vomiting, to prevent further absorption of the chemical. Fluids may also be provided to help with stabilisation of your pet if a lot is consumed.

If you believe your pet may have consumed chocolate (or anything they shouldn’t have eaten!) you can check the poison guide on our website or contact us for further advice! 🍫